Learning Objectives for Chapter 14
1. Describe and evaluate the medical model of abnormal behavior.
2. Explain the most commonly used criteria of abnormality and complexities that arise in their interpretation.
5. List the five diagnostic axes of DSM-IV.
6. Discuss the difference between prevalence and incidence
7. List four types of anxiety disorders and describe the symptoms associated with each.
8. Discuss the contribution of biological, cognitive, and personality factors, conditioning, and stress to the etiology of anxiety disorders.
9. Compare and contrast the three somatoform disorders and discuss their etiology.
10. Describe three dissociative disorders and discuss their etiology.
11. Describe the two major mood disorders and state their prevalence.
13. Explain how cognitive factors, interpersonal factors, and stress may be related to the development of mood disorders.
14. Describe the general characteristics (symptoms) of schizophrenia.
15. Describe two classification systems for schizophrenic subtypes, and discuss the course of schizophrenia.
16. Explain Schizophrenia, and some of the issues involved
18. Discuss the nature of personality disorders, and describe the three broad clusters of such disorders.
19. Describe the antisocial personality disorder and discuss its etiology.
Learning Objectives for Chapter 15
Treatment of Psychological Disorders
1. Identify the three major categories of therapy, and discuss how various demographic variables relate to the likelihood of treatment.
2. Describe the various types of mental health professionals involved in the provision of therapy.
3. Explain the logic of psychoanalysis, and describe the techniques by which analysts probe the unconscious.
4. Discuss resistance and transference in psychoanalysis.
the elements of therapeutic climate and discuss therapeutic process in
6. Discuss the logic, goals, and techniques of cognitive therapy.
7. Describe how group therapy is generally conducted, and identify some advantages of this approach.
8. Summarize the general principles underlying behavioral approaches to therapy.
9. Describe the goals and procedures of systematic desensitization and aversion therapy.
10. Describe the goals and techniques of social skills training and biofeedback.
11. Discuss evidence on the effectiveness of behavior therapies.
12. Describe the principal categories of drugs used in the treatment of psychological disorders.
13. Summarize the concerns that have been expressed about the impact of managed care on the treatment of psychological disorders.
14. Discuss the pros and cons of empirically validated treatments.
15. Discuss the merits of blending or combining different approaches to therapy; define eclectic.