Chapter 1 Outline
Human Development, "Is a field of study devoted to the understanding of constancy and change through the human lifespan."
1) Identify consistencies
2) Identify change
It is Scientific, Applied and Interdisciplinary….
3 Basic Issues involved in Developmental Theories
1) Continuous or Discontinuous development
2) One course of development or many?
3) Nature versus nurture?
Development as a lifespan process
1) Development is a lifelong process
2) Development is multidimensional and multidirectional
3) Development is highly plastic or flexible
4) Development as embedded in multiple contexts
John Locke and Tabla Rasa
Jean Jacques Rousseau
Self Reports/Survey Method
Clinical or Opened Ended Interview
Clinical or case study method
Research Ethics in Lifespan Development