Chapter 7: LEARNING OBJECTIVES
After reading and studying the material in this chapter, you should be able to answer the following questions.
1. How do organization, adaptation, and disequilibrium guide development?
2. What are the major achievements of the sensorimotor stage?
3. What are the characteristics and limitations of preoperational thought?
4. What are the major characteristics and limitations of concrete operational thought?
5. What are the main features of formal operational thought?
6. In what ways might adult thought be more advanced than adolescent thought?
7. What are the limitations and challenges to Piaget's theory of cognitive development?
8. What is the main theme of Vygotsky's theory of cognitive development?
9. How does social interaction contribute to cognitive development according to Vygotsky’s theory?
10. In what ways are Vygotsky and Piaget similar and different in their ideas about cognition?