1. Freud's theory of personality is an example of a ______ theory.
2. What do humanistic psychology and psychoanalysis have in common?
a. both are based on determinism (the belief that every behavior has a cause)
b. both reject the idea of reductionism (attempts to explain behavior in terms of its component elements)
c. both are based on methods other than laboratory research
d. both explain behavior in terms of unconscious thought processes
3. Carl Rogers is known as
a. a humanistic psychologist.
b. Buck Rogers's father.
c. star of "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood."
d. a country and western singer.
e. the discoverer of thesaurus.
4. A self-actualized person is likely to be
b. independent and creative.
c. obedient to authority.
d. stubborn and resistant to change.
5. According to Freud, a boy who develops a sexual interest in his mother and competitive aggression toward his father is experiencing
a. an Oedipus complex.
b. an Electra complex.
c. an Othello complex.
6. According to Freud, people have a psychosexual energy, which he called
7. According to Freud, we go through stages of sexual development in the following order:
a. latent, anal, oral, genital, phallic
b. anal, oral, latent, genital, phallic
c. oral, anal, phallic, latent, genital
d. oral, latent, anal, phallic, genital
8. How would Sigmund Freud explain why someone eats, drinks, or smokes too much?
a. The person has a strong id and a weak superego.
b. The person has a very high level of libido.
c. The person is engaging in projection and rationalization.
d. The person had a fixation during the oral stage.
9. According to Freud, sexual interest is suppressed during the
a. oral stage.
b. phallic stage.
c. latent period.
d. genital stage.
10. In Freud's theory, the id is the part of personality that
a. resembles conscience.
b. makes rational decisions.
c. includes biological drives.
d. mediates between the conscious and the unconscious.
> d Page 478 Psychodynamic Example (www) Correct = r =
> c Page 481 Humanistic Conceptual Correct = r =
> a Page 482 Rogers Factual Correct = 99% r = 0.10
> b Page 482 Maslow Conceptual Correct = 82% r = 0.38
> a Page 485 Unconscious Definition Correct = r =
> b Page 487 Psychosexual Definition Correct = r =
> c Page 487 Psychosexual Factual Correct = 95% r = 0.20
> d Page 487 Psychosexual Conceptual Correct = r =
> c Page 487 Psychosexual Factual Correct = r =
> c Page 488
Structure Factual Correct = 68% r = 0.41