Quiz 6b: Psychological Disorders
1. Mental health workers label behavior psychologically disordered when they judge it:
a. prejudicial, unconsciously motivated, ingenuine, and insane
b. biologically based, unconsciously motivated, aggressive, and difficult to change.
c. selfish, habitual, and avoidable
d. atypical, disturbing, maladaptive, and unjustifiable
2. DSM-IV is a widely used system for:
a. identifying the causes of psychological abnormality
b. distinguishing sanity from insanity
c. treating depression
d. classifying psychological disorders
e. doing all the above
3. DSM-IV is most likely criticized for:
a. attempting to explain behavior by simply labeling it.
b. classifying an excessively broad range of human behaviors as psychologically disordered
c. failing to base diagnoses on observable behaviors
d. inhibiting scientific efforts to discover the underlying causes of psychological disorders
4. A generalized anxiety disorder is characterized by:
a. offensive and unwanted thoughts that persistently preoccupy a person.
b. a continuous state of tension, apprehension, and autonomic nervous system arousal.
c. hyperactive, wildly optimistic states of emotion
d. alternations between extreme hopelessness and unrealistic optimism
5. The avoidance of potentially anxiety-arousing situations from which escape might be difficult is indicative of:
a. an obsessive-compulsive disorder
b. a dysthymic disorder
e. bipolar disorder
6. Repeatedly washing your hands is to ________ as repeatedly thinking about your own death is to______.
a. neurosis; schizophrenia
b. mania; depression
c. phobia; delusion
d. compulsion; obession
7. Obsessive thoughts typically ____________anxiety and compulsive behaviors typically _________anxiety.
a. increase, increase
b. decrease, increase
c. increase, decrease
d. decrease, decrease
8. It has been suggested that compulsive acts typically exaggerate behaviors that contributed to the survival of the human species. This idea best illustrates the ___________ perspective.
9. A condition in which an individual is overexcited, hyperactive, and wildly optimistic is known as:
b. a manic episode
c. a panic attack
10. Disruptions in conscious awareness and sense of identity are most characteristic of ____________disorders.
d. generalized anxiety